I started by cutting a hole in a canvas, I then pinned two layers of water soluble stabilizer with my design drawn on it over the hole. Then lots of loopy stitching to make kind of a background. I had to make sure that the stitching was all connected to the canvas, and all overlapped, so it wouldn't fall apart when the stabilizer was washed away. After I was having trouble taking pictures, I thought of putting the battery operated string of lights behind it. Which kind of helped and kind of made it even harder, ha! So much fun! The photos are the best I could do, hopefully you'll get the idea!
When it was all done, I added some sponge painting to the front of the canvas. I love to try unusual ways to use a sewing machine, and particularly the free motion foot! Feel free to ask questions if I missed something!